Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Oh how sweet it is!



     One of the things a lot of people remember about trips they've taken is the food. No matter where you go, one always remarks upon a yummy dessert, a decadent meal, or a drink they've never had before. This is a tactile memory that will forever place you back on that trip, every time you have that food. One of my favorites was this one:
Hazelnut chocolate filled croissant and strong Greek coffee.
Akrotiri, Santorini
     I love pastry in the morning, because I have a huge sweet tooth that won't go away no matter much I want it to. My quest for pastry and sweets has landed me in some interesting places. There was a 2.5 inch high quiche in Cork, Ireland. A lemon meringue pie topped with real, fresh, whipped cream at Avoca, in Wicklow, Ireland. Brownies in Glasgow, Scotland. Last but not least, bahklava and gelato all over Greece. A friend's recent trip to New Orleans also reminded me of those morning waking up, after maybe just a bit too much to drink the night before, and thinking the entire French Quarter smelled like a French bakery. Cafe du Monde? You bet your sweet Splenda!
     One of my best friends, who is travelling to Italy with me already has a budget for gelato. Seriously. But since we are going to Florence, where the best gelato in Italy (and therefore, the world) is made, why even pretend to play nice? This is what I'm talking about!


Photos of Perche No!, Florence
This photo of Perche No! is courtesy of TripAdvisor

This pic is a cheesecake gelato from the gelateria Perche No! in Florence, which is highly rated in Rick Steve's Italy travel guide, among other places. My question is this, "Who has my spoon?!"

No comments:

Post a Comment